Driving Central America & South America.

Trip Reports, Driving Advice, Photos and More!

Has anyone driven a Panama registered car north to the US/Canada?

Tcat Left 2
5 replies [Go to the last post ]
Tcat Right 2
matyw's picture

I am considering bringing a diesel 4x4 to Canada from Panama. I am wondering if that will be much more complicated at boarders than driving a US plated vehicle?
Thanks
Matt

Schneidfeld's picture

Canadian Plates

I haven't done the drive (yet) myself, but I'm planning on driving as far as Costa Rica from Winnipeg after this upcoming Christmas & have been doing a lot of research on it. The one thing I've repeatedly heard is that you will save yourself a lot of hassle at the borders by having a document from your autopac provider which identifies you as the OWNER of the vehicle, along with your regular registration/insurance papers. I guess here in Canada our insurance acts as proof of both insurance AND ownership, but other countries have seperate documents for each and expect such at crossings. I spoke with my insurance provider & was assured that it wouldn't be a problem to have them print up a proof of ownership document to take with me. Hope that helps!

Good luck & happy travels!! When are you planning on leaving?

matyw's picture

If I can get the vehicle together in time I hope to leave early July.
Believe me, you need a folder of papers just to get the car out of Panama. Quite a process.
Thanks for your comments.

Schneidfeld's picture

I'm not planning on going as

I'm not planning on going as far as Panama (with a vehicle), so won't have the pleasure of dealing with that bureaucratic gong show lol. Costa Rica seems to have the most flexibility regarding vehicles, allowing you to enter the country & continue on without it, so long as you return for the vehicle within 3 months. Other countries will not let you leave without the vehicle you entered the country with. I'd originally planned to make the full drive down to Brazil, but after looking into the cost & hassles involved in ferrying a car from Panama to Columbia I figured it'd be way easier to just put the car in storage in CR & pick it up on the way back.

How long are you going to be gone for? Where's the final destination for you?

matyw's picture

Plans

Wasaga Beach Ontario is Home. We are then driving to British Columbia and back to Ontario in September. Then flying back to Panama where we are living. We are hoping to do it all on waste veggie oil as a fuel. We have been successful with this in the past.

Schneidfeld's picture

Very cool!! Sounds like

Very cool!! Sounds like we're planning similar trips, we're driving from Winnipeg to Fernie BC, spending New Years there & then driving down the coast! Just working 2 jobs saving right now, counting the days & getting more & more excited as they pass by & the trip gets closer!!