Driving Central America & South America.

Trip Reports, Driving Advice, Photos and More!

Any possibility of renting car?

Tcat Left 2
4 replies [Go to the last post ]
Tcat Right 2
sweetvox's picture

My friends and I are flying to San Pedro Sula, Honduras, and were hoping to rent a car there and drive down to Panama (our Honduran friend offered to drive the car back up to Honduras and return it at the pick up location). Unfortunately, we can't seem to find any rental agencies in Honduras, Nicaragua or Costa Rica without geographic restrictions that prevent you from driving the car out of the country. This is pretty frustrating, since it seems that Guatemalan car hires don't have such restrictions, so long as you buy separate insurance.

Does anyone have any tips to share on crossing borders with rented cars? We are flying from NYC, only travelling around for a couple weeks, and too poor to buy a car when we're there!

Thanks in advance.

robertdjung's picture

I've never heard of it, but

I've never heard of it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist!

atg200's picture

Requiring the original title

Requiring the original title to a vehicle seems to preclude this as a possibility.

robertdjung's picture

As I understand you can have

As I understand you can have a notarized letter from the lien holder and a copy of the title, but I have trouble believing that a lien holder would do it.

patti's picture

From what I have gathered

From what I have gathered this is not happening. The title to the vehicle will need to be in your name. Car rental is only common in resort areas and tourist destinations and the companies are typically locally owned/operated. The larger, multi-national rental agencies will not let you enter another country with their vehicle. Sorry man.

Did you think about buying a bike? A lot cheaper. The only problem is it may be difficult to register anything you get down there because you are not a resident and have no physical address.