Driving Central America & South America.

Trip Reports, Driving Advice, Photos and More!

Driving to Argentina

Tcat Left 2
5 replies [Go to the last post ]
Tcat Right 2
patti's picture

Taking the Pan Am Highway through Central America and into South America. We are planning on taking our dogs with us as well. I have gotten all of the paperwork in order for entering every country that I need along the way but I am worried about crossing the borders with the animals. Do you think that there will be problems. I don't mind paying bribes...just don't want to have my babies stolen from me.

Also, does anyone have any information about crossing the Darien Gap? There is no road from Panama to Colombia and I need to make arrangements to ship my vehicle, I just can't find any shipping contacts. Does anyone know if it is possible to ride on the ship with your vehicle?

I appreciate the info....

happy travels......

admin's picture

Heard the cheapest is from

Heard the cheapest is from Costa Rica -- but most people don't ride with it, and just travel in the interim. Welcome to the site!

AmericasOverland's picture
AmericasOverland (not verified)

Driving to South America

I agree, Costa Rica is generally the cheapest alternative but the ship departures are not always convenient. You have more choices from Panama. How big is your vehicle? Can you ship by container or flat-rack or do you have to go by RORO? Our favorite contact is Evelyn Batista. This was her email, but I don't know if it is current. evelyn.batista@barwil.com.

Feel free to ask me more if you want. You'll have a great trip.

BTW, we know many people who travel with pets. Just have your vaccination certificates and go. I wouldn't raise the issue of a pet unless a border person specifically asks about one.

Cheers,
Don
www.AmericasOverland.net

kdgreene's picture

Driving to South America

I agree, Costa Rica is generally the cheapest alternative but the ship departures are not always convenient. You have more choices from Panama. How big is your vehicle? Can you ship by container or flat-rack or do you have to go by RORO? Our favorite contact is Evelyn Batista. This was her email, but I don't know if it is current. evelyn.batista@barwil.com.

Feel free to ask me more if you want. You'll have a great trip.

BTW, we know many people who travel with pets. Just have your vaccination certificates and go. I wouldn't raise the issue of a pet unless a border person specifically asks about one.

Cheers,
Don
www.AmericasOverland.net

patti's picture

Managing the Darien Gap

Don,

Thanks for the information. If you've done this before you know how difficult it can be to get solid contacts down south. I actually spoke with Evelyn Batista yesterday. Just in case you, or anyone else, need to get in touch with her:

evelyn.batista@wilhelmsen.com

We are going to be shipping a Class B RV so we aren't able to ship by container. Nevertheless, Evelyn gave us a reasonable quote out of Panama to Cartagena. I think that is the option that we are going to take. They have weekly sailings out of Colon and there is an American owned and operated campsite 60 km from the port in Panama. It is called XSMemories, owned by Dennis and Shelia (lost the last name). They also have a bounty of information regarding vehicle shipping and things to do (or not do) when you are in that part of the world. This is their phone number in Panama: +507-993-3096.

Happy travels

admin's picture

thanks patti and don for the

thanks patti and don for the excellent up to date information. we'll continue directing people to evelyn -- please update us with info as you go or after your trip. Love to hear more about the ins-and-outs of your personal experience.