Driving Central America & South America.

Trip Reports, Driving Advice, Photos and More!

Guadalajara to Costa Rica Driving: How to go, what border crossings to choose, what roads to take?

Tcat Left 2
6 replies [Go to the last post ]
Tcat Right 2
monrio's picture

Hi,
First time poster wanting to know opinions about driving from Guadalajara through Mexico to get to Guatemala Mesilla crossing, then on through to Costa Rica.

I drove the Pacific coast road of Mexico in 2006 and found it beautiful but cost a lot of time with villages every five miles slowing things down.

I had a bad experience in 2006 at Amatillo, Honduras crossing and will drive two hours out of my way to avoid that costly mess. I really found that corruption unacceptable.

So, how do I drive from Guad through the center of Mexico down to Mesilla?

What border crossing is recommended in Honduras? How do I get there from Salvador or Guatemala?

Thanks,
Monrio

robertdjung's picture

There are a couple, I've only

There are a couple, I've only crossed at the big one to the south. But you can cross in Copan though I've heard it can be tricky if they want to make it hard on you.

The big one is on CA-10. Near Esquipalaus in Guat.

kyle's picture
kyle (not verified)

crossings

get there in the daytime. Smile alot. Try not to throw anything at the loosers in the booths.

All border crossings are the same. A few 10$ bills with the paperwork goes miles.

atg200's picture

I also had a really rough

I also had a really rough time at the El Amatillo crossing. Never again. Crossing at Copan was really easy.

robertdjung's picture

next time I do it I guess

next time I do it I guess I'll go up there too. I've heard that it's more laid back. Only problem of course is that it's more remote. But hey you're close to Copan!

atg200's picture

The remoteness is fun. Not

The remoteness is fun. Not sure if you went to Gracias, but its easy to get to from Copan and was my favorite town in Honduras. I had an orienteering adventure trying to figure out back roads between Siguatepeque and Gracias. Excellent dead reckoning skills are a must.

admin's picture

oh god we've had some fun

oh god we've had some fun times with that trying to find lakes Huites in Mexico.

haha check out http://www.southboundtravels.com/days-4-5.html
and this sign we found in the middle of a BUNCH of dirt paths on a mountainside:
http://www.southboundtravels.com/pics-mex/mex-4-5/pages/huites-14-.htm