Driving Central America & South America.

Trip Reports, Driving Advice, Photos and More!

Is it nesecary to have a Mexican transmigrant visa to travel to CA?

Tcat Left 2
No replies
Tcat Right 2
leeson's picture
Joined: Oct 6 2009

The US consulate website says that people traveling across Mexico to Central America need a trans-migrant visa and will have to hire a customs broker at the border. It also says there is only one location on the border where you can enter, and that you must cross within ten days. The Mexican website says you will need to hire a customs broker. Here is the consulate website

C'mon! All I want to do is drive to Honduras in my truck and come back a few months later. Has anyone heard of any of this or gone through any of this? Nobody on this forum, far as I have seen, mentions anything about this.

In your recent experience, what is really necessary to drive to CA???