Driving Central America & South America.

Trip Reports, Driving Advice, Photos and More!

Theft stories from Guatemala - how much concern?

Tcat Left 2
3 replies [Go to the last post ]
Tcat Right 2
Burlynomad's picture

I've been reading a lot of horror stories out of Guatemala. It seems like driving through there with a kayak and surfboard on top, and all my dive gear and belongings inside with NC license plates, is like having a big sign that says 'I'm rich, come rob me'. Do you guys think I'm overreacting or do you think I'm asking for trouble driving through there with all my stuff?

robertdjung's picture

Things will "walk off" in *any* country, USA included. Feel free to post some links to a story and we can comment more specifically.

atg200's picture

I had surfboards on top of my truck, so I was also a traveling billboard. I never had anything walk off on my trip, but I was fairly careful about where I parked - especially for the night. A locking surfboard rack is a good idea.

In general, the horror stories are just that - stories. Every now and then things definitely do happen, but it is the exception rather than the rule and mostly due to carelessness. You can almost always find secure gated parking, which is a necessity to prevent theft in places like rio dulce, sipacate, antigua, panajachel, etc. You may have to spend a bit more to stay at a place that lets you park off the street, but its worth it if you have a lot of stuff.

Whenever I stayed somewhere that did not have secure parking, I brought my surfboards and fly rods inside just to be safe. It also helps to keep things in bins out of sight.

Burlynomad's picture

Thanks guys.