Driving Central America & South America.

Trip Reports, Driving Advice, Photos and More!

nogales or el paso?

Tcat Left 2
5 replies [Go to the last post ]
Tcat Right 2
globalhobo's picture

So we had originally planned to cross into Mexico at Nogales, take the Pac. coast route down to Panama, Carribean way back up. My Grandma is 94 and lives in Roswell so we decided to see her before we take off. Closest border crossing is El Paso, but since we want to hit the Pac side, I'm thinking the US highways will be faster. Should we head back to Nogales or just shoot down through El Paso?

Thanks!
Leah

atg200's picture

There isn't very much reason to hit the pacific coast before mazatlan(or really even after that until puerto vallarta), so i'd cross at el paso and go through chihuahua. If you have time check out the Copper Canyons - if i had my trip to do over again I would have gone that way and just hit the coast south of Guadalajara in Michoacan.

globalhobo's picture

Thanks for the input. my hubby just said ciudad juarez has been having some violence-murdered journalists and such. There is a toll rd all the way to durango though, yah?

Like you, we aren't much interested in the northern pac coast (although I heard of a gem of a village up there), so we wanna hit the quickest route. although if someone out there has a suggestion for something ya just gotta check out ...
thanks again

robertdjung's picture

i tend to agree with ATG. we did the nogales way, and we hit some things up a bit before Mazatlan, but we didn't stick around too long. Of course, if you wanted to do Baja it's a different subject! But I wish too that we'd seen some of the copper canyon.

SOOOOO, you might think of doing that.

atg200's picture

I wouldn't worry too much about Juarez - you could definitely find trouble if you look for it, but its not a big deal in the tourist areas or if you are just passing through.

globalhobo's picture

how bout ojinaga...

Thanks guys.
We're headin towards roswell at the moment and are now actually looking at crossing at ojinaga. from there we'll cut over to Copper canyon - does that sound pretty reasonable?