Driving Central America & South America.

Trip Reports, Driving Advice, Photos and More!

Tcat Left 2
2 replies [Go to the last post ]
Tcat Right 2
DAVESBOX1's picture

IM PLANNING ON DRIVING AN OLDER MODEL MOTOR HOME TO PANAMA...I OWN PROPERTY THERE AND HAVE BEEN IN MANY CENTRAL AMERICAN COUNTRIES...WE HAVE FRIENDS IN EL-SAL, HONDO, NICARAGUA AND OF COURSE PANAMA...THE THING IS IM NOT SURE WHAT DOCS WE NEED FOR BORDER CROSSINGS, WHAT INSURANCES...AND EVEN IF THE ROAD IS 100% PASSIBLE IN ALL COUNTRIES...I AM A PILOT AND I FLY TO THESE PLACES REGULARLY...NEVER DRIVEN IT THOUGH...THE GOAL IS TO LEAVE THE CAMPER IN PANAMA ON THE PROPERTY FOR FUTURE FUN...ANYONE ABLE TO ADVISE ME ON THIS PROJECT? I AM FLEUNT IN SPANISH SO IF YOU ARE LATINO(A) I CAN RESPOND AS WELL.... THANKS IN ADVANCE! E-MAILO ME AT [email]DAVESBOX1@AOL.COM[/email],

DAVE

atg200's picture

Roads are passable and the panamerica highway is in mostly really good shape. For borders you need the original title and registration, passport, and driver's license. Insurance is mandatory and available to the border in nicaragua and costa rica. Get Mexico insurance ahead of time since its cheaper than at the border - [url]www.mexpro.com[/url] is useful for that. Call AIG to get central america insurance if you want it, though it isn't necessarily required.

With fluent Spanish you won't have too much trouble. Just be patient at borders because it can take awhile and some of the borders are mazes of unmarked shacks to negotiate.

robertdjung's picture

yup. I second all that. especially the patience part.