Driving Central America & South America.

Trip Reports, Driving Advice, Photos and More!

16 Passenger Vans

Tcat Left 2
3 replies [Go to the last post ]
Tcat Right 2
Casey Austin's picture

P.S. I'm sure you've heard this, but those 16 passenger vans are dangerous as hell. Some friends and I took one to Quebec 6 years ago for some whitewater rafting and we flipped it on the return trip 15 miles from the US border. Luckily, the only injury was one seperated shoulder and some glass in my head.

robertdjung's picture

I guess I've heard of them flipping -- on the news and what not, but I never really thought about it. That's a really good point.

Who was driving, and how did that happen? Booze involved?

Casey Austin's picture

We had a DD for the trip. Everyone else was asleep but the driver. She was inside the speed limit but swerved and somehow lost control. Rolled three times and ended up in some poor French Canadian's front yard. Shitty way to wake up. But they took us in, made all of us pancakes and helped us find a ride back to Maine. Great people.

From what I've been able to figure out over the years is that the safety of those vehicles is proportionally related to to the amount of weight in the van. They get very top heavy and the center of gravity shifts, allowing the van to roll easier. We had 12 or so people and some camping/rafting equipment. I'll post the pictures if I can find them.

robertdjung's picture

i would like to see them.
glad you're ok!