Driving Central America & South America.

Trip Reports, Driving Advice, Photos and More!

Mexico - Ruins of Calakmul

Tcat Left 2
No replies
Tcat Right 2
robertdjung's picture

We didn't go, but it came highly recommended from a friend who's never steered me wrong.

[URL]http://www.mayanbeachgarden.com/Calakmul.html[/URL]
[INDENT][I][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2][COLOR=#333333]Calakmul is a situated in the middle of the Calakmul biosphere reserve, the largest tropical forest reserve in Mexico. Set aside as a Biosphere Reserve in 1989, it is also a major archaeology site. Very close to the Guatemalan border, when you climb the tallest temple you can see Meridor in the distance.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2][COLOR=#333333]One of the things that struck us about Calakmul was the many artifacts just laying around the ruins. Our guide showed us where to look to find pottery shards and even found an arrowhead. It would have been exciting to pick up a souvenir, but the guide explained to us that by taking something from the site, we would be destroying a piece of history, for the artifacts were only meaningful if they could be studied on site. We gladly put everything back in place where we found it (and recommend that everyone take that attitude as well.)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
[/INDENT]